Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Dive on in there!

You know it's going to be a good day when one of the first things you hear in the morning is "Make sure you really spread the labia open and hold them tight! Sometimes they'll give you a good fight. And remember, that hand is now un-sterile." NO KIDDING! Can't wait to give it a shot on a real person... eesh.

I'll spare anyone reading this details of the stuff we learned today. Catheters, bed baths, changing linens, emptying an ostomy bag, and charting what the results of a Fleet enema were aren't particularly intriguing or appetizing.

Relevant to this blog, however, is the fact that everyone at school is telling us to pray for our teacher and her family. I won't go into details, but one of my lead teacher's young daughter-in-laws is extremely ill. Like on-a-respirator-for-a-week-and-a-half ill. The teacher is the wife of a minister. But we are all being told repeatedly to pray for them? What good are our prayers if a minister's child is getting screwed by life? It's so sad how people fall into these religious voids and can't crawl out. When things get rough, they fall faster and reach even more desperately for answers. I am without a doubt sympathetic and concerned, because the lady is young and with a small child, but I certainly also find it somewhat depressing that I live in a society where you're an outcast if you (silently) refuse to pray for someone.

2 comments:

parenting noobs said...

I love that "pray for them" line. If God really knows everything and he has a "plan" for everyone... is praying going to help? God's probably saying: "Yeah, yeah, I heard you and I don't care. I have a plan!" haha

third time around said...

So happy to read your blog. I am in my first semester of nursing school. We just spent the last two days discussing prayer, religion, ethics, and spirituality. I really don't know want to make of it and just hope I don't have to deal with that subject too much in real practice. On the way home in my carpool a student cited an incident where a parent made a decision about their kid and then she said, "and they didn't even have a religious reason." I replied, "so, decisions are o.k./more respected if they are religious?" I just don't understand the reasoning of religious people. I'm pretty sure I am the only atheist, but that's not something I would broadcast.